Klem North Health Office
Health Office Staff
Nurse: Kim Wood, BSN, R.N
Health Aide: Renee Ferretti
Phone: (585) 217-4107
Fax: (585) 217-5603
Welcome to the Klem North Health Office!
*Please contact the Health Office to discuss any health concerns for your child.*
RETURN TO SCHOOL AFTER ILLNESS
WCSD follows the NYSDOH guidance for return to school after a student or staff member exhibits symptoms associated with COVID-19: fever, chills, loss of taste or smell, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, fatigue, nasal congestion, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and body aches.
If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, they may return to school when they meet the all of the following criteria:
1. test negative for COVID-19
2. has been fever-free for at least 24 hours without medication
3. exhibit significant improvement of symptoms
You may call your school's main office if you need home test kits. You may also call the school nurse to arrange testing in school.
IF YOUR CHILD TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19:
1. Notify the school nurse immediately
2. Isolate your child at home for a minimum of 5 days
3. Your child may return to school on day 6-10 of isolation if
a. Remains fever-free for at least 24 hrs without mediation
b. Symptoms are significantly improved or resolved
c. Able to wear a well-fitting mask over the mouth and nose through day 10
d. Is cleared by the school nurse
Students who do not meet this criteria need to stay home through day 10 and may return on day 11.
IF YOUR CHILD IS EXPOSED TO COVID-19
The NYSDOH strongly recommends that your child:
1. Wear a well fitting mask over the mouth and nose in school and on the bus for 10 days following exposure
2. Test for COVID-19 as soon as you learn of exposure and then at least 5 days after the exposure date
3. If it is a household exposure or your child is not fully vaccinated, test every other day or everyday
4. Students who are not fully vaccinated should quarantine at home for the first 5 days if they do not test at least every other day.
5. If your child develops symptoms at any time during the 10 days following exposure, please keep your child home, test for COVID-19 and consult with your school nurse.
6. Notify your school nurse immediately if your child tests positive.
Thank you for adhering to these NYSDOH School Guidelines so we can keep our schools healthy!
Medications: Please make sure you have a current doctor's order to administer with the provider's signature as well as a parent signature. Orders are valid for the duration of the current school year. New orders must be obtained each year. Medications may not be transported by the student and medications must be in the original container with the student's name printed on the container. See the above link for more info.
Immunizations: If your child receives any immunizations please ask for a copy for the school nurse. Refer to the link above for a list of immunizations required by NYS for school attendance.
Physicals: New York State mandates a current physical on file for NEW ENTRANTS , UPK, Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 5th grades. For the 2021-2022 school year, a valid physical is dated on or after 9/1/2020. Refer to the District Health Office website for more info: Physical and Dental Exams
Illness/Injury: Please keep your child home if they are not feeling well or have a temperature of 100 or greater (without the use of fever reducing medication). For more info, refer to the district Health Office website: Illness/Communicable Disease and Injury/Activity Restrictions.
Screenings: Your child will be screened by the school nurse during the school year for vision, hearing and scoliosis as required by NYS Law. If the Health Office has a current physical on file and the physician has performed the required screen, the nurse does not need to screen your child.
Field Trips: Remember that we need an extra labeled prescription container for daily medications so we can send medication on field trips. A school nurse does not regularly attend field trips, therefore medications are usually administered by other school staff if needed on field trips. Please refer to the District Health Office link for more info: Field Trips
Attendance Line: (585) 217-4108
The nurse does not take attendance. Please call the Attendance Line number if your child will be absent. If your child is ill for an extended period of time, has been diagnosed with strep throat or another contagious illness, or is injured and requires modifications in school, please call the nurse before your child returns to school to discuss and develop a safe return to school plan.