RETURN TO SCHOOL AFTER ILLNESS
WCSD follows the NYSDOH guidance for return to school after a student or staff member exhibits symptoms associated with COVID-19: fever, chills, loss of taste or smell, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, fatigue, nasal congestion, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and body aches.
If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, they may return to school when they meet the all of the following criteria:
1. test negative for COVID-19
2. has been fever-free for at least 24 hours without medication
3. exhibit significant improvement of symptoms
You may call your school's main office if you need home test kits. You may also call the school nurse to arrange testing in school.
IF YOUR CHILD TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19:
1. Notify the school nurse immediately
2. Isolate your child at home for a minimum of 5 days
3. Your child may return to school on day 6-10 of isolation if
a. Remains fever-free for at least 24 hrs without mediation
b. Symptoms are significantly improved or resolved
c. Able to wear a well-fitting mask over the mouth and nose through day 10
d. Is cleared by the school nurse
Students who do not meet this criteria need to stay home through day 10 and may return on day 11.
IF YOUR CHILD IS EXPOSED TO COVID-19
The NYSDOH strongly recommends that your child:
1. Wear a well fitting mask over the mouth and nose in school and on the bus for 10 days following exposure
2. Test for COVID-19 as soon as you learn of exposure and then at least 5 days after the exposure date
3. If it is a household exposure or your child is not fully vaccinated, test every other day or everyday
4. Students who are not fully vaccinated should quarantine at home for the first 5 days if they do not test at least every other day.
5. If your child develops symptoms at any time during the 10 days following exposure, please keep your child home, test for COVID-19 and consult with your school nurse.
6. Notify your school nurse immediately if your child tests positive.
Thank you for adhering to these NYSDOH School Guidelines so we can keep our schools healthy!
Sports Registration: We have gone electronic! See sports link above.
Health Concerns: Please email me with any concerns you may have regarding your child's health. If you child is ill or injured and cannot fully participate in school activities, please have the doctor write a note for the nurse. Refer to these District Health Office links for more info: Illness/Communicable Disease and Injury/Activity Restrictions
Medications: If your child needs to receive medications in school, please see link above.
Physical Exams: If your child has a well-child physical, please be sure to request a copy for the school nurse. NYS requires physicals for 9th and 11th graders, but all physicals are welcome throughout the year!! Refer to the District Health Office link for more info: Physical and Dental Exams
Immunizations: If your child receives any immunizations please ask for a copy for the school nurse. Refer to the link above for a list of immunizations required by NYS for school attendance. Seniors need their second dose of meningococcal vaccine before starting their senior year.
Screenings: Your child will be screened by the school nurse during the school year for vision, hearing and scoliosis and required by NYS Law. If the Health Office has a current physical on file and the physician has performed the required screen, the nurse does not need to screen your child. Parents will be notified of significant findings.
Field Trips: Remember that we need an extra labeled prescription container for daily medications so we can send medication on field trips. A school nurse does not regularly attend field trips, therefore medications are usually administered by other school staff if needed on field trips. Please refer to the District Health Office link for more info: Field Trips
Attendance Line: (585) 670-5022 The nurse does not take attendance. Please call the Attendance Line number if your child will not be attending school. If your child is ill for an extended period of time or has been diagnosed with a contagious illness, or is injured and requires modifications in school, please call the nurse before your child returns to school to discuss and develop a safe return to school.