Latest Update from Superintendent Gumina
August 7, 2020
Dear Webster CSD Parents/Guardians,
Governor Andrew Cuomo announced earlier today that all New York State schools will be able to reopen in September (Webster’s first day is Thursday, September 10). As you can imagine, there was much to digest within this announcement to move forward. Here is what is happening at the moment:
1. Governor Cuomo has asked all districts to hold three virtual information sessions with parents by August 21 to answer any questions about reopening plans. Webster CSD will actually be offering six Zoom information sessions beginning this weekend. The sessions will be on Sunday, August 9 (2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.), Monday, August 10 (12:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.), and Tuesday, August 11 (10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.). I encourage all parents to pre-register for one of these sessions by clicking on the linked GOOGLE FORM. Each session is limited to 275 parents.
You’ll also be asked to submit a question or two and those will serve as our guides during these Zoom sessions. All participants will receive an email with the Zoom link the morning of your session. All sessions will be recorded and posted to our website so that parents can view any session to hear questions and answers.
2. Thank you to nearly 4,000 of you who have already responded to our online survey regarding your choice for 100% remote instruction and what your transportation needs will be this fall. To date, 11.4% are opting into the 100% remote learning model.
The district has extended the original Monday, August 10 deadline to complete this important survey to WEDNESDAY, August 12 (11:59 p.m.), in order to give everyone an opportunity to participate in the Zoom information sessions prior to making a final decision regarding the remote learning model. As a reminder, we need to hear from every parent/guardian regarding your plans for 100% remote learning and transportation! The survey was sent to all parents/guardians this past Wednesday and is available on your child(ren)’s Infinite Campus Parent and Student Portal (once logged on, click on More > Backpack). If you have any questions or are having difficulty accessing the portal, please email ICPortal@webstercsd.org.
Knowing our remote learning and transportation choices is critical as bus routing needs to be completed and shared with families. Please know that final notification of your child(ren)’s bus schedule may not occur until early September.
3. The governor is requiring all districts to post to their websites the portions of reopening plans that specifically relate to:
- remote instruction and any equity issues related to this type of instruction,
- the district’s plans regarding COVID-19 testing for both students and teachers,
- the district’s plans regarding contact tracing if someone tests positive.
These plans will be posted to our website by the end of next week.
As you will hear in the coming hours, days, and weeks, there is much to do and much to plan. Thank you for your continued support, kindness, and patience as we plan for the safest way to return to school. I am looking forward to seeing your child(ren) in September! I hope to see many of you (virtually) during the upcoming parent information sessions.
Superintendent of Schools
* PLEASE NOTE: You have received a message from the Webster Central School District. Due to the time sensitive nature of the information, the message has been sent in English. Should you need assistance translating the message into your preferred language, please email your child's principal and he/she will arrange for an interpreter to call you back. Please include the best phone number at which you may be reached. You may also use the Google translate feature on the district website’s reopening and coronavirus information page (scroll to the bottom of the page) to read this letter by visiting www.websterschools.org/reopening.