Skip to main content
facebook        twitter        youtube
Webster schools - click for home
Compassionately Connected, Joyfully Engaged, Always Learning

Life-Threatening Allergies in School

Life-Threatening Allergies

  • Food Allergies currently account for 6-8 % of the school aged population.

  • Tiny amounts of an allergen may present a life-threatening risk for allergic students.

  • Major Food Allergens: Peanuts, Tree nuts (almond, brazil nut, cashew, hazelnut, macadamia nut, pecan, pine nuts, pistachio and walnuts), milk, egg, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish account for 90% of food allergies.

  • Nation-wide, peanut and tree nuts account for 92% of the severe and fatal allergic reactions.  Insect stings, medication and latex account for the remaining 8% of severe and fatal reactions.


Webster's Allergen-Reduction Management

All students have the right to safe access the educational benefits our school district provides.  Providing a safe school environment involves the collaboration of parents, providers, students, and school personnel using the guidelines per Public Health Law §2500-h. WCSD provides reasonable accommodations to ensure the safety of our students.  However, as the world is not allergen-free, and neither are schools.  It is the District's goal to assist students in becoming knowledgeable and independent with their health needs, including life-threatening allergies. WCSD will make accommodations consistent with the student's age and maturity level.  Students should be completely independent in recognizing and avoiding their allergens by the time they enter middle school,

Parents/guardians of students with life-threatening allergies need to conference with their school nurse to develop a plan that is appropriate for their child before the school year begins or before the child returns to school after being diagnosed with a new life-threatening allergy.


Links

How to Use an EpiPen
How to Administer Auvi-Q  
How to Use Adenaclick (generic epinephrine auto-injector)   
Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE)
American Latex Allergy Association (ALAA) 
Bee Sting Allergies

This page is maintained by district communication specialists and the director of educational technology and information according to the web publishing guidelines of Webster Central School District. If you are unable to access or use any aspect of our site, please email our district webmaster so that we may provide you with alternative means of access or use. The district is not responsible for facts or opinions contained on any linked site. Webster Central School District WEBaccessibilityguidelines site contains information regarding accessibility and complaints.